On Friday, September 7, 2012 4:04:47 PM UTC+1, Bill v wrote:

> I have also a selfish question. I see you are using a PIC and a DS1302
> RTC. I happen to be working on a design (16 segment VFD) using the same
> parts. Do you program your PIC in assembly or something else? I use
> assembly, and if by chance you do also, I would be very grateful for a copy
> of the code section dealing with the DS1302.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bill van Dijk

Just an FYI, I worked on a clock project recently and chose a pic wich has
a built in RTC. i think the sacrifice made is limitied EEPROM in the same
device. I hooked up a 32.768kHz crystal and the thing ran really well.
There is the ability to make very fine adjustments to the clock accuracy
too.

I'm currently using a 18F26K22 internal timer off a 32.768kHz crystal, when
main power is disconnected the clock can run for very long periods from a
supercap by only waking from low power sleep mode to service the 1 second
interrupt and then sleeping again.

I think one of the pics with RTC also has an onboard temperature sensor so
adding a form of temperature sensing is easy too.

Chris