Interesting pojt Bill on the fact that some data sheets specify
multiplexing and some dont, as you say some tubes were not 'desgined'
to be muxed, I think thats probably because muxing wasnt common when
nixies were current, I wonder what manufacturers did to a tube to make
it intended for muxing, or whether its just a new spec applied to an
old design.

I really dont spose I'm going to know without trying if lifecycle is
greatly reduced without trying it myself, one thing encouraging is
that there are folks that have clocks with muxed tubes that have been
going for years, and theres no mention of anyone with a clock that
munches tubes every 10 minutes.