Hi Daniil,

I don't think it is too important who the tools belong to as long as you can use them. It is a fascinating opportunity for you to acquire real glassblowing skills.

I am so busy at the moment with university stuff that I cannot focus too much on Nixie tube making... Anyway, my next investment is going to be an gas-oxygen handheld torch so that I can also work Pyrex glass (will give it a try I guess) as well as soda lime. It is an investment I will only have to do once, so it is definetely worth it.

Another plan is to study the annealing and tempering properties of soda lime glass. I know that most hobbyist tube makers do not use this kind of glass (for good reasons), but then again it is so easy to create vacuum tight seals. Also, I have some lead glass tube stems lying around here and these only fuse to soda lime. So I will try to build a preheating oven that I can use to reheat glass and glass/metal parts and then join them. I will either use an infrared torch or a hot air fan for that. I will also make some horrible pinch seal and hold it in the hot air for some time and analyse the reduction of the tensions inside the glass.

So much for my plans. What is your next step, Daniil?

Jens

Jens,

No no it's just looks alike, I'm totally novice.. learning everything by myself. You can ask Dalibor :) After trying to build home lab, and almost a year of seeking after normal vacuum pump for reasonable money, closed deal to work in professional glass workshop, so the machines are not mine (and it's totally fake impression). :)