Valve [tube] filaments [heaters/cathodes in this case] generally do not have life extended by running lower power. Cathode emission is complex and heater should be run within the specs. That spec is not just to achieve maximum rated emission.

Some oscilloscopes had a connection for cathode modulation of brightness.

John K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michel" <mic...@xiac.com>
To: "neonixie-l" <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:45 AM
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: Sgitheach web page update

Great design and source of information Graham! Fantastic.

Just wondering about 1 thing, is it possible to adjust the brightness
of the scopeclock according to the ambient light? Usually you would
use the control grid of course, but what it you would adjust the
current through the filament? It would both lower the power
consumption and increase the life of the tube, I would expect?

The IN9 / IN13 bargraph clock is my next project!! Tubes are on the
way but hope I will have some time to work on it :-)

Michel

On Dec 12, 12:51 am, Grahame Marsh <grahame.ma...@googlemail.com>