Hi Aaron

You've confirmed what I suspected, that the focus voltage is moving enough to unfocus the image as the beam current is varying. I will take some measurements of beam current, focus current, focus and cathode voltages and try to feed the focus from a more stable voltage, perhaps using a mosfet in the control rather than the simple potential divider. The aim is automatic brightness control, probably not using the LDR in the grid circuit directly but using another DAC (or PWM) to control grid voltage and hence brightness. The LDR would be read by the AVR and acted on. Brightness control by the AVR is something I'm working towards so I can try to draw any object, no matter how big, only once rather than drawing larger objectes many times to achieve equal brightness with small objects.

I have the final anode voltage set at the midpoint voltage on the deflection amplifiers. So a centred undeflected spot has D1=D1'=D2=D2'=A3 voltage. I can trim the A3 voltage for best astigmatism which I have found is slightly off the equal voltage rule, I guess because one set of deflection plates are further down the tube as you say. But I have not tried varying the voltages on the deflection plates so D1=D1' != D2=D2' for a centred spot. The deflection amplifiers are identical and fully interchangable at the moment.

Of course, I've not yet progressed to CRTs with a PDA.

Another change I'm planning to try is the way the octant information is sent to the blanking circuits. At the moment I hae an 8 bit bus straight from one AVR into a second that carries out the blanking decisions. This is just like yours and Davids done in discrete logic ICs. I'm going to use the SPI bus to serially send the data to the second AVR. There are a couple of advantages, it frees up a lot of pins on the main AVR that I can use for other things, but also the data sent is then not limited to 8 bits. It become easy to, for example send 16 blanking bits and so a circle can be divided up into 16ths rather than 8ths. It does look like there is time to do this easily in the object drawing cycle. The second AVR become a SPI slave and any data can be sent to it.

My test trafo has been shipped from the USA and I'm hoping it'll be with me before xmas so I can build and test the new PSU. Working towards Scope Clock 2 Version 2 with ideas building for Scope Clock 3 (as above). I also want to build and case a clock for the house so I have something to show.

Sent one set of PCBs to the states, another set are promised. A guy on Malta has asked me for a set, you can see is collection of CRTs and radio equipment here

http://www.qrz.com/db/9H1GT

But I'm waiting for the new PSU before supplying my home made PCBs. All good fun.

Cheers Grahame