Yes, using transistors will do just fine. And you can use the nixie group's
favorite, the very common MPSA42, which can withstand 300V. Here are some
of my dekatron circuits:

http://threeneurons.wordpress.com/dekatron-stuff/
http://threeneurons.wordpress.com/dekatron-stuff/variable-dekatron-spinner-kit/
http://threeneurons.wordpress.com/dekatron-stuff/auxiliary-dekatron-stuff/