>> Does anyone have any experience of these displays?
>> As far as I can tell they are electroluminescent, and are driven from
>> ac.

You are correct.

>> I'd like to use one of these and was wondering what sort of voltages
>> and waveforms i'd need,

You'll need about 100-300 volts AC.  Waveform and frequency don't matter much,
but DC won't work.  Higher frequencies will make it light bluer.  It's really
not very critical, they'd probably light just fine on wall current, but you'd
really want some sort of current limiting before giving it a try!

I have a few, I'll give 'em a try with some obvious things like one of those
battery-powered fluorescent light drivers and a trivial inverter (555 driving a
switching transistor connected to a 8Ω:1000Ω transformer as a step-up).  I'll
also try an ordinary EL inverter with a capacitor to soak up some output, since
they don't like to run underloaded.

>> they are similar in operation to a vfd but
>> without a heater.

Not really, VFDs run on lowish (24-60) DC voltage.  EL wire, panels, and
displays work more like a leaky capacitor, where the leakage reappears as light.

- John