I want to build a four digit VFD clock (three of them actually) without
using drivers like the max6921. I have two possibilities at this moment,
one is this http://i.imgur.com/D4FGaV1.jpg and the other being this
one http://i.imgur.com/5fMc7ty.png . Which would be best?

Another question is the resistor that I will need:
0.0035/25*3 = 0.00042
60/0.00042 = 140k = 130K or 150K ohm  for R1       and 100k for R2

For the grids the same circuit applies but with a slightly different value
for R1 due to the different current.
But this implies that I use 60 volt. A few people said that the tubes are
very bright at the recommended 50-70 volt for multiplexed tubes so if I
lower the voltage to 40 volts I would suddenly need only 100K for R1. Will
I bump into problems if I lower the voltage to lets say 40 volts but when
my resistors are calculated for 60 volt?

I want to make the filament supply with a 7806 and wires them in series, AC
will be generated by four bs170 mosfets. Do I still need a filament
resistor if I match my voltages this exact?

Suggestions are welcome, my PCB can be roughly 9 by 5 cm so maybe there are
other (cheap) alternatives to using resistors as drivers? I first got this
idea because everything had to be stuffed onto a smaller pcb so maybe now
that I have more space I can now use some IC's instead?