Sorry Adam, I sent a reply to you and not the group...

I do get your approach now (shouldn't read such things before finishing the
morning coffee), but it still seems a slight unnecessary over complication?
If the current is specified as 100mA and voltage is 1.5v then surely that
gives the manufacturers specified resistance, when running hot. (I still
argue its resistance and not impedance due to the lack of significant
inductance and capacitance?)

This would give a mfg resistance of 1.5/0.1 = 15ohm?

If you treat two of them as one 30 ohm resistor with 3v over it then you
can get your 2v drop at 100ma do you not need a 2/0.1 = 20 ohm resistor?

A soft start arrangement would be kind, and I am sure I have seen it used
on VFD filaments somewhere, but I doubt their resistance changes that much
to as require one as they don't get too hot (compared to a incandescent
filament...)

I would still always run it though a bench PSU with a current limit set,
then just play with some resistors (or a wire wound pot / rheostat) until
the figures work out...

- Alex