  From: Morris Odell
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:05 AM
  Subject: [neonixie-l] My latest clock

  Hi all,

  I was in New Zealand recently and visited the Clapham National Clock Museum
in a town called Whangarei. One of the items there caught my eye, it was a
German skull clock from the 1920s as seen here. I thought a Nixie version would
be just the thing for my office at the Institute where I am a senior physician.
A couple of weeks of intensive work over the summer break and here it is:

  http://youtu.be/6rHZqU2x3EA

  The skull is a plastic anatomical model which has been surgically modified to
fit two dekatrons in the orbits. There's also a small speaker in the cranial
cavity to sound the ticks and the Westminster chimes. The devices in the nasal
cavity are a LED and a PIR sensor to switch on the display only in the presence
of warm live humans. The red button on the front of the box is the alarm
switch. The time display is made using Russian IN-17 tubes multiplexed in 3
groups of two. In the box is a PCB with an AVR micro and appropriate power
supply and interface electronics for the tubes and speaker. The dekatrons are
purely ornamental and not part of the timebase as in previous clocks I have
made. As this clock is going into an internal office there's no GPS receiver
included so it is set manually and gets its timing from the mains frequency.

  Happy New Year to all,

  Morris