I'm with you guys on this - back in the early '80s I lived in St. John's,
NL working at Memorial Uni - we hit -40 (don't bother wondering if that was
Centigrade or Fahrenheit - it's the same in both).

We had block heaters, red poles to find the car in the morning, bits of
wood to park up on so you didn't melt into and then freeze into the road -
my brother's car had the oil freeze in the transmission as he was driving...

I really liked living there - no, really, I did - it was fantastic...

Nick