If that were the cause, then I'd recommend a vigorous shake to remix the
gases :)  Seriously though, the contents of your tube are 98%+ neon, with
the balance being argon and possibly a trace of mercury vapour. No air of
any description in there, else it wouldn't glow at all under the voltage
applied in your circuit.

More likely what you're looking at is a phenomenon called cathode
poisoning, where tubes unused for a long time seem to pick up a surface
contamination of some parts of the cathode which inhibits the glow. Try
running the tube at 1.5 or 2x normal current for a while and see if that
clears it up.

Cheers,

Jon.