  From: Morris Odell
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 6:55 PM
  Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] About this type edge lit display.

  Hi all,

  A few years ago I built a 6 digit clock using those indicators. They are
multiplexed and the clock looks terrific. Mine uses 12V flange based bulbs. The
downside is that the bulbs don't last all that long when multiplexed at the
theoretically correct voltage of 12 * sqrt(6) = 30 V (approx). Those little
bulbs are not easy to find. The local professional suppliers (RS or Farnell)
have them but you need to buy 100 at a time. I have had some success
substituting LEDs as the quality and colour of high intensity warm white LEDs
have improved. Once I run out of my last purchase of 100 bulbs which should be
in about a year at the current rate, I'll install them. It won't look quite the
same but them's the breaks.

  Substituting LEDs is not straightforward. The issue with LEDs is that the
light intensity is maximal in one direction while a small hot filament
quasi-isotropically radiates in all directions. The bulb housings are like an
integrating sphere with a slit where the edge of the perspex picks up the
light. If the LED radiating direction does not coincide with the slit you lose
a lot of it so even with very bright 5 mm LEDS the display looks dim compared
to when a bulb is used. Recently I picked up a batch of warm white LEDs which
have short bodies thus allowing more of the light to be bounced around inside
the integrating housing and they are not too bad. I've got quite a collection
now of unsuitable high intensity white LEDs!

  Morris