> A higher supply voltage makes in the course of time more serious problems.

I don't think so.  The efficiency is lower, of course, but the conditions on
the tube are
pretty much the same once it's on (the anode resistor drops more voltage, the
tube's
maintaining voltage and current are the same).  The only difference to the tube
is that
it ionizes faster, as far as I can figure, and I don't see a damage mechanism
there.

- John