> > I assume that they did enough study of the idea to ensure a minimum of
> expensive warranty repairs.

For consumer equipment, I always assumed keeping filaments always-on was a
way for tube-sets to compete with increasing numbers of solid-state TVs
that turned-on much faster. The "instant-on" tube sets definitely burned a
fair amount of standby power (not exactly energy-star....). The funny thing
is, it now takes a Windows-based computer more time to boot-up from
power-on than any tube-based TV I ever owned.

Lab equipment, though, often had 3 power modes (off-standby-on), and I
think the filaments-on mode served 2 purposes: (a) as you mentioned, for
higher MTBF because filaments would not be temperature-cycled which causes
shorter life via mechanical stress, and (b) eliminating
warmup/stabilization time, which was often 30+ minutes.

Back to the original question of the radar-clock, I would keep a small
amount of filament current, say 40-50% of nominal, if you plan to power-up
the clock within the next day or so. Otherwise, I would do a soft-start AND
soft-shutdown to slowly ramp the current to minimize the mechanical stress.
It would be a real shame if the filament burned-out after you put so much
time into making this truly amazing clock. Any chance you have a spare CRT ?