I worked (and am still working) on my Nixie tube thermostat for my heater.
Though it will have 4 relays for controlling anything. I only have a heater
(radiator), I am using a PID controller to regulate the temp. Cooling will
just be a standard stupid algorithm, one  tested by turning on and off a
room AC.

When I get a chance I will post more details. I am hoping to have a kit
before next winter :) We'll see ;)

-joe