Funny I immediately dismissed this idea originally because I always think
"H-driver" for DC-to-AC; using 4 switches. For my clock this would have
been too costly. I didn't realize that replacing the upper 2 switches with
resistors was perfectly fine and resulted in negligible wasted energy.

In the case of my big clock, the PCB layout & routing was too dense in 2
layers to use 2 resistors per bulb, even using resistor SIPs (though SMT
would have been fine). WIth a high-enough DC supply, I could connect bulbs
in-series (which saves on resistors).