The whole schematic is built on 2 boards: logic and drivers. The logic
board is manufactured because it was a bit too complex for me to do it
(~200 vias) so I cannot modify the electric connections. I paid around 100$
for 5 pcs so I would like to use it as-is. The LPF + drivers + HV board is
made by me so I can redo it; I have to redo it either way because I used
the wrong opamps when I designed it.

@Grahame
You're close to what I also tested on a breadboard; what I found out is
that the lower the frequency the lazier the tubes. However, the behavior is
the same from a certain frequency above, including not having the LPF in
there. This is connected to my initial question(s): what frequency should I
use, why and is it the same for all drivers?
Simulating the schematic, or parts of it, in a simulator will not do. The
simulation programs are not always tell the entire story. For example, when
I simulated the wave gen + comparator (lin-to-log) the response I got in
LTSpice was looking very good. However, in practice it didn't work because
the output of the wave gen was higher than the audio signal therefore
driving the comparator into low-state.

@Nick
I am using one wave gen for all channels and a comparator for each channel.
I was thinking to build the lin-to-log before the filters but the owner of
the schematic (Instructables) confirmed that it is working this way. As
said above, since I already have the board, I cannot modify it.