On 16/04/2015 14:11, John Rehwinkel wrote:

I'm also working on an ongoing project to use an old monoscope tube as a character generator to display nicely formed characters on a small CRT. This could be the basis for a 4/5/6LW project, including some fun effects like stretching letters vertically or horizontally, and moving them around. I'm on about the sixth redesign (LT1172 switching regulator driving a CCFL inverter with a voltage doubler) of the monoscope power supply at this point.

I've built a character display on a single 1" CRT (DH3-91) with the idea of using several in parallel to make a multi CRT FLW+. Project was sidelined by other projects...

FLW on a 1" CRT is easy

And on a 3" CRT, 6 letters (or more) is practicable. My current scope clock project uses a 5" CRT so I was looking for a much larger word list and probably some form of scrolling proverbs perhaps. I'm aiming to store the words and proverbs on a small removable SD card so updating the library does not involve reprogramming the micro, just updating the text files on the SD card. In terms of a CRT, it is a good use for a rectangular CRT which fits well displaying letters. To get nicely formed letters I'm using the sine/cosine drawing method (i.e. David Forbes scope clock).

Grahame