My first published scope clock, you've seen it before

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope1.html

pixel based just using two DACs to position the beam. Bresenham's algorithm to draw the lines. Display is 64 x 64 pixels on the 1" tube. To move forward I would certainly now use sine/cosine drawing. I store the words in an external eeprom, in the future I'm planning on using a SD card.

Grahame