I once had a clock which I found when someone was throwing it away.
It ran on a set of (2) "D" cells in series.  It was a springwound
clock, it would run for about ten minutes per winding.  When spring
tension got low, a little motor would kick in and wind it back up.
A set of batteries would last just over a year.

Finally it died because the motor eventually failed and also
the contacts to start the motor got flaky.

But it did put in a couple years of good service after I found it.

It was not a real precise timekeeper either maybe a minute or two
per week or so.

Chuck

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!