If they fail that quickly and the damage is concentrated in the center then
it sounds like it could be also be ion damage to the phosphor as opposed to
an issue with the phosphor itself. I'm not sure how good the vacuum is on
some soviet tubes in general (I suspect it varied from factory to factory
if not day to day) and most electrostatic CRT's of this era don't seem to
have an an aluminium layer or an ion trap to protect the phosphor.