Nice board.

I'm curious why the blanking pin on the HV5530 isn't working. Is it that
you dont see any dimming, or is it something else ? Be careful about the
setting of the POL pin; if it's at the wrong level you will turn on all
cathodes when you attempt to blank the displays.

I'm working on a 14-tube IN-18 clock that uses the HV5530, and I plan to
use the blanking pin for dimming. My control logic is entirely FPGA, so I
have no issues about software timing, etc.

Although it's inefficient, you could implement a lower-speed PWM by sending
alternate serial packets with all cathodes off, then the desired cathodes
on, etc. I dont know if your CPU can handle that workload under software
control, though.

The datasheet parameters dont specify a *minimum* propagation delay on the
DataOut pin (tDLH), and there is a minimum hold-time requirement on the
DataIn pin, so it's theoretically not possible to cascade these devices
unless you  alternately invert the CLK signal or add delay on the DataIn
pin. This wont cause a problem with blanking, but it could cause marginal
operation. I chose to alternately invert the CLK signal.