On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 7:48:07 AM UTC-8, jrehwin wrote:

> I'm not surprised.  Just a few hundred microamps is enough for visible
> glow, and those transistors can have current gain in the hundreds.  Most
> flux is hygroscopic, so it pulls
> moisture out of the air, and then the residual salts make it conductive.
>
> - John

To make matters worse, it most likely was caused on the anode driver side.
Each driver has two transistors. They are HV transistors (MPSA42 & MPSA92),
so their current gain can be as low as 25, but usually twice to 4 times
that. Even at the lowest values, to get 5mA into the nixie anode, it only
takes 8uA to into the base of the low side transistor.

Usually, you don't think about this kind of leakage with digital circuits.
Doing something, slick and fancy, never goes unpunished !