Joanthan,

Clearly, it was made in 1976. That's what the PCB date code 2276 and the white stamp 7644 both say. It's a rather unique part, probably part of some direcitonal system as you say. I'd imagine it to be a really expensive gizmo, as microprocessors were very new back then. Which makes it interesting that it's so small.

It looks like it would fit in an aircraft instrument panel, especially with the notches in the corners of the square PC board, which would leave room for knobs. In fact, that red thing looks like a rotary switch base.

Probably from a 1970s avionics display.