On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 7:12:49 PM UTC, threeneurons wrote:

> For Soviet tubes, we see lots of nixies with 1992 date codes, so dekatrons
> with like date codes are no surprise. As mentioned, if it was used in their
> defense industry, then they probably would keep making the parts, until
> that equipment was no longer in service. In any bureaucracy, that could be
> a while. The Soviet Union collapsed ~August of 1991. Probably took a few
> months to close down the factories.

Soviet dekatrons with such late date codes are not that common. I've been
compiling quite a lot of data on this topic for the last several years, and
the frequency distribution over about 500 tube sightings is such that about
half have 1970s date codes, a quarter are from the 60s and only a few
percent from the 90s. My sense is that late 1980s and early 1990s nixies
are more common than this, perhaps indicating they were indeed more widely
used for longer.

Jon.