Although the E-L display look neat, I've concluded it's not possible to
showcase them in a clock that runs 24/7 because of the poor lifetime of
~500 hours from what I've researched. Assuming I get them running, it will
be more of a museum-piece clock.

I'd be interested in teaming-up with someone who has a 3D printer to make
'fake' displays with green neon bulbs to emulate this particular E-L
display. They would have very long lifetimes and have a similar color, not
to mention, the large size.