I wasn't getting at you at all John :) The MAX1771 is a subtle beast and
quick to anger - if you recall I had a look at your setup and couldn't see
what was causing it to misbehave... it took me about 6 goes (and
discussions with Maxim) before my attempts got to the final stage.

The 1771 is a bit of a Ferrari and my design is aimed at optimum
performance, not cost-effectiveness - generally, if you stick exactly to
what's on the page, it'll work every time, but moving it onto another board
etc. can sometimes be problematic...

Your brilliant, left-field, designs more than make up for that !

Cheers

Nick