Oh yeah, test-lead inductance. 3 feet of Pomona test leads for Vcc and GND
(6 feet round trip). The board I was debugging is a nixie wristwatch, and
it has a small DC-DC converter that takes the 3.7 to 4.2V supply (typically
a Li-ion battery) down to 3.25V to run the onboard FPGA and display
drivers. Even though it's low current, say 100mA max, the DC-DC converter
runs at 2-3Mhz, and has very sharp current spikes. I couldn't figure out
why the converter would start, then shut down a few hundred usec later.
There was all sorts of ringing on the power supply, and I had assumed it
was bad probe-grounding, because I could alter it with ground clip location.

Only after I removed the ground clip, and connected to the metal sheath on
the probe did it become clear I had noise on the power supply. When went to
battery power (total wire length of about 1 inch), the converter ran
perfectly. Using the same short leads with the bench supply (as on the
battery), it also worked. From what I could tell, the noise was so bad that
the DC-C converter IC became inoperable.

6 feet of testleads is about 2uH. The inductor in the converter is 1.5uH,
so the testleads definitely have a major impact on the circuit.