I bought a cheap RTC module ($1 USD, including shpiping) a few years ago,
and concluded the DS3231 was either counterfeit, or used/defective material
because it was horribly inaccurate. You get what you pay for.

Generally, I only buy parts from a reputable supplier (digikey is my
favorite). In particular, semiconductor devices are always packaged in
proper ESD-safe bags. During assembly and test/debug, I follow proper
handling steps for ESD-sensitive devices. None of those has ever acted
erratically.

For me, it's not worth the risk or hassle to save a few dollars on parts by
purchasing from the cheapest source.