On 12/17/2016 03:26 PM, Luka C wrote:
> I'm writing this to warn others or ask if anyone had similar experiences. I
> purchased a lot of Atmel ATMEGA328P microcontrollers from a seller on
> Aliexpress.

Microprocessors are one component that you absolutely MUST buy from an
authorized distributor or directly from the manufacturer.  ESPECIALLY
Atmel.  Instead of trashing chips that fail testing, Atmel apparently
allows them to leave the factory to be sold by unscrupulous resellers.

Atmel is what is known as a foundryless manufacturer.  That is they have
hunks of silicon logic manufactured by someone else.  They then load
microcode into the chip to turn it into an ATMEGA or whatever.

The nature of this process is that the chip can fail to execute certain
instructions, fail to drive pins while the rest of the chip works.

There can also be parts of the chip that won't run at the specified
speed.  I just ran into that with the AT90PWM316.  My (now ex) partner
got a "great deal" on some parts through OctoPart.  At the programming
frequency loaded into Studio, the chip reported the signature of an
unrelated chip.  As a last ditch hunch, I slowed the programming
frequency down to about 50kHz.  IT then reported the correct signature
and accepted my program, though it took several minutes instead of seconds.

Since they abruptly and without warning EOL'd that chip shortly after
the MicroChip takeover and the going rate for remaining stock is about
$15 (was $4), I'm going to have to try to use them.

I recently ran into a similar problem, this time with parts from Mouser.
 Suddenly with this lot of chips, the "heat" button (induction heater)
works only sometimes and about half the time the unit comes up at full
power instead of the set power level.  I haven't yet pin-pointed what is
going wrong so once we use up the OctoPart parts, we'll be down for the
count until I can redesign the board to use a different processor.  I'm
fed up with Atmel.

After someone mentioned it here earlier, I took at look at the TI MXP432
ARM processor.  About the same price but vastly more powerful.  The TI
LaunchPad (think Arduino) is only 12 dollars and is set up like the
Arduino to accept daughterboards.  Ti's support has been great.  This is
the chip I'm converting to.

Back to the issue at hand, never ever ever buy complex parts whose
origin cannot be traced back to the manufacturer and even then expect
problems.

John

--
John DeArmond