Yes, I have specific per-segment current limiting. The circuit is simple
(NPN transistor with emitter resistor). I aslo have a current-limiter at
the anode.

The problem with the 7971 datasheet numbers is that if you add-up all of
the spec-value segment currents for an '8' character it's 40mA. In fact,
most displayable characters will exceed to max anode current spec of 21mA.
The rarity and high price of these tubes leaves no room for error.

First, I created an excel spreadsheet that sums the current for each
displayable character, using datasheet values
Next, I scaled back the datasheet values so that in most cases, the total
node current is within spec (21mA)
Then I spent several hours plotting I-V data for all of my 7971 tubes (my
new nixie bench supply REALLY helped with this task)
For each tube, I visually determined a satisfactory on-current for each
segment.
The last step is to reconcile the individual segment current values with
the visually-acceptable segment current, while factoring-in tube-to-tube
variations.

I'm still tweaking the segment currents; there still is an anode current
limiter (21mA) to handle 3 outlying cases where anode current would exceed
ratings without the limiter (*, Q, 8 characters).

Admittedly, this design is probably overkill but I'm not taking any chances
with those expensive tubes.

Hera are the spec (top row), and scaled (bottom row) segment currents I'm
using. As you can see, it just over half the datasheet value. In general,
these currents produce decent illumination, at least with the tubes I have.

6 4 5.5 5 5.5 4 5.5 5 5.5 5 5 6 5 5 6
3.5 2.5 3.0 3.0 3.0 2.5 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.5 3.0 3.0 3.5