Yes, I’ll keep them also for a long term project ☺
Thank you for your notes!

From: <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> on behalf of gregebert
<gregeb...@hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 16:18
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Strange display C63.396.208(I-208) - any info on
this?

I bought 4 of these last year on a whim because they are SO unusual
Problem is, electroluminescent displays have a rather short lifespan, on the
order of a few hundred hours. Not a good choice for a 24/7 clock.

They operate on low-frequency AC, on the order of a few hundred Hz. Basically,
the capacitive current energizes the phosphor material to emit visible light.
They *will not* operate on DC.
Also, you must not operate them on square-waves, as the high dv/dt will result
in excess current. I plan to use a triangular wave, which results in constant
current.
I discourage you from using 50/60Hz AC from the mains, as it would require
higher voltage to get illumination, which could cause breakdown

I measured the capacitance of my display units (posted below), and as expected,
larger segments have higher capacitance

It's another project on the long to-do list.....

Pin

Cap (pF)

2

250

3

460

4

170

5

215

6

196

9

94

10

98

11

213

12

218

13

178

14

422

17

402

18

235

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/31688f95-155e-445b-9943-0cdd16e88ca4%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/31688f95-155e-445b-9943-0cdd16e88ca4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.