Given the high cost + rarity of b7971 tubes, I would only recommend a
current-regulated driver for each segment. Using individual cathode
resistors will limit the current, but it's not well-regulated and will vary
tube-to-tube and with age. Yes, the HV5530 will *work*, but I would be
concerned about reduced tube life.

Also, I would not multiplex these tubes because the brightness will be
reduced. Boosting the current to compensate for this will likely exceed the
datasheet limits and shorten tube life. In fact, driving all segments of a
b7971 tube at their rated current *at the same time* will exceed the spec
limit for maximum anode current. So, along with limiting the current on
each segment, you should also have a current-limit for each anode.

I spent a lot of time gathering & analyzing data on my 7971 tubes to get a
tradeoff between segment-current, max-current, and brightness.

I know it sounds like overkill, but a few extra $ for components to protect
a $100 tube is well worth it. Besides, I had a lot of fun designing and
simulating the driver circuitry.

The HV series drivers aren't necessary for current-regulators; you can use
TTL or LVTTL shift-registers (74HC595) to control the driver transistors
(PMBTA42DS).

I haven't had the time to fab the PCB for my 7971 tubes yet; once I get the
board running I'll post schematics. Just too doggone busy with my day
job.....