Very very good advice from Nick in these two posts.

Changing like-for-like or interchanging if easy is valid - modifications aren't. [Unless you deduce something from a *temporary* mod to allow you to fix the original problem.] I have had to deal with the fallout from bad approaches: "We" discovered that, in the Chinese factory, there was an 'engineer' modifying the units that failed test until they worked or passed. Things like changing the value of a resistor in a voltage divider that supplies a ref voltage to a comparator making up for an IC with a leaky input ( or a solder bridge to a different part of the circuit as in one of the customer returns that I analysed). Eeek!!

John K

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick" <n...@desmith.net>
To: "neonixie-l" <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:37 PM
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: Taylor Edge Nixie Clock Kit

...Also, reading your problem description isolates the issue to the 10s digits.

The 10s are driven by 7490s whereas the units are driven by 7492s. Do you have the right chips in the right places?

I'd also try swapping round the 74141s between the 10s and units to see if the problem moves with them - 74141s can fail....

Isolate the problem.

Nick

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to neonixie-l+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/c6ffdd07-5d4d-4de6-8afc-37d5e7f1da8e%40googlegroups.com.