I suggest you try another experiment: Try pulling the plug to turn it
on/off. Does that mimic the way the sign turns off with the smart outlet ?

Once you have that info, we can speculate about what the power switch in
the sign does, and also the smart outlet. It might not be a simple
series-switch like most appliances have; it could somehow be tied into the
power supply, which would explain why the shutoff is different

Does the smart outlet click when turning on/off ? If so, it's a relay. If
not, it's probably a triac. They have different turn-off characteristics.

Is the sign 2-conductor (neutral & hot), or 3-conductor (neutral + hot +
GND). I've seen really weird things happen with noise coupling between
neutral and GND.