From: 'Terry S' via neonixie-l [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 30 May 2017 11:47 PM
To: neonixie-l
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Pulsed DC vs direct DC in cathode poisioned

If the tubes show signs of poisoning within hours, something is seriously wrong
with the tubes, not the clock.

I have a Nixichron that ran for many years, and some of the tubes started to
show poisoning symptoms very gradually over time. Jeff sent me info on a
hardware update, as well as advice on how to de-poison the tubes. It took a tad
of rework and a few hours total time. The rework lowered the anode resistor
value and raised the high voltage, so the tubes ran a little "hotter", but the
poisoning has not returned at all. And I completed that rework at least five
years ago. The clock is running strong and I expect it will for many more
years. I run it 7 hours/day, and not at full brightness.

I did have one tube fail... what looked like poisoning was in reality a slow
gas leak. Probably a result of my removing the tubes from rigid sockets.

The Nixichron has no anti-poisoning routine. I've run across numerous clocks
that do, but some don't up the brightness to max during the routine. So I find
that of questionable value. Others do up the brightness... don't put those
clocks in your bedroom.

Terry