Newxito,

If heat is a concern I generally invest in cooling and changing the design
to reduce heat instead of a thermal shutdown. Providing extra cooling and
investing in parts the generate less heat ensures long component life and
reduces the likelihood of fire.

When starting fires electrically, there are generally two options: create a
spark the lights small tinder or heat any fuel to the point of spontaneous
ignition. Physically the process is the same in both cases but the former
is a faster process then the latter.

Assuming you have a device that creates more than 1000 volts and sparks a
fire, a temperature activated power supply shutdown isn't helpful when the
power supply is *already on fire*. At which point nearby fire alarms need
to be the next line of defense. Alternatively, if you have a device/power
supply that is handling 100s of watts, the amount to power being used can
approach the point of spontaneous ignition when things go wrong. In these
high power situations, thermal measurements can detect when power is being
used in dangerous and unhelpful ways and a thermal shutdown will protect
the device.

Nixie Clocks tend to be somewhat exotic devices but don't generally need
1000s volts or 100s watts to work. Hence Nixie Clocks don't have
unavoidable fire/heat concerns that come with devices like large power
supplies, electric stoves or electrical discharge insect control systems
(bug zappers) and Greg's advice will creating electrical safe where it
matters.