I didn't purchase any numitrons yet, however my tests with a CCS and a
small 15V 30mA bulb show that with current limit of 20mA, the filament
turns on with a fade in effect, which takes about 200ms, in this case. I
enjoy it, so I hope I'll be able to reproduce it with numitrons, as it
would both help their life and add a nice effect.
 With 30mA the turn on time drops to under 100ms, and with brightness of
this bulb is hardly noticable.

I think the inrush current is needed for bigger filaments and/or faster
switching - small bulbs (and, I hope, numitrons) have short pieces of wire
with low thermal capacity.

gregebert, thanks alot for the link to the paper. I've read it, definitely
learned alot from it.
I was prepared to lower the current of segments to help them live longer,
and with a LED current sink this will be very easy. If only producers told
how the resistor is sensed by the chip, so I could replace it with a
transistor and a DAC/lowpass filtered PWM... That's why I didn't want to
use limiting resistor and higher voltage. On second thought, maybe a
regulated boost converter would do the job - I could dim the clock by
changing whole tube power supply voltage.