Just one correction: inrush current of a filament lamp (or heater) is a
physical characteristic of the component and not something one designs to
happen. Every filament or heater be it huge or tiny has an inrush current,
and the amount of it and the time that takes between this maximum current
and the nominal one is a function of many physical characteristics.

The suggestion of using a current source is to limit this inrush current
and thus avoid the possible damage caused by it.