Hello

This matter has been discussed before, technology changes fast, and as I
look for an arduino board for GPS, I am finding very sophisticated boards,
that I have no idea if and how to program they so to have only the
NMEA $GPZDA message.

I recall that I bought once a "gps mouse" to replace the haicom GPS
receiver that came with my nixichrome clock, and had difficulty in finding
how to stop the other protocols , I finally did. every gps  has its own way
to program it.and I don't even remember were I bought it, and how I
programed it.

Now I want to modify my DS1307 based clock , which I find too inaccuarte,
to use a GPS board (or mouse) , but before buying, I need to know how to
program it.

for those who doesn't know what the NMEA protocols that a GPS sends,  here
is a brief and rudimentary explanation.

every GPS receiver spits out a whole bunch if information, preceeded with a
header:
   $GPBOD - Bearing, origin to destination
   $GPBWC - Bearing and distance to waypoint, great circle
   $GPGGA - Global Positioning System Fix Data
   $GPGLL - Geographic position, latitude / longitude
   $GPGSA - GPS DOP and active satellites
   $GPGSV - GPS Satellites in view
   $GPHDT - Heading, True
   $GPR00 - List of waypoints in currently active route
   $GPRMA - Recommended minimum specific Loran-C data
   $GPRMB - Recommended minimum navigation info
   $GPRMC - Recommended minimum specific GPS/Transit data
   $GPRTE - Routes
   $GPTRF - Transit Fix Data
   $GPSTN - Multiple Data ID
   $GPVBW - Dual Ground / Water Speed
   $GPVTG - Track made good and ground speed
   $GPWPL - Waypoint location
   $GPXTE - Cross-track error, Measured
   $GPZDA - Date & Time

maybe this list is very incomplete now, and new protocols have been
developed.

we need only one protocol, the one that sends out the Time and date, we
don't want to saturate the PIC or Arduino serial buffer with data we don't
need.

so we need to program the GPS receiver to send out only this information,
which is the $GPZDA message.

any help on finding a suitable board and the know how to program it , will
be appreciated, and might awake interest in including a GPS module instead
of a RTC, for future Nixie enthusiasts.

regards

Alexander