I have designed a few Nixie tube clocks I call OneNixie.  I have attempted
to design a compact 1W 180V power supply that runs off USB (5V) to light up
a single Nixie.  I have not come up with a satisfactory design yet... so I
have been using a nice 5W unit out of China.  One thing that has been
missing on my work bench is a general purpose high voltage power supply for
testing Nixie tubes against specifications.  Recently I purchased a Fisher
Biotech FB-300 Electrophoresis Power Supply for $40 (including shipping)
off EBay.  It is a digitally controlled 10-300V 4-400mA HV supply.  The
voltage can be set in 10v increments, and the current in 1mA increments
(however current minimum is 4mA).  This unit has both voltage and current
limit features.  Some units even a wattage limit can be set.  On this unit
I can set the voltage to 180V and the current at 4mA, then turn it on.
When the Nixie strikes, the voltage drops to limit the current to 4mA.
Then I can step the current up 1mA at a time, and display the voltage as I
go.  This can also be used to attempt rejuvenating a Nixie, which is my
next task on a few IN-18 I have.  I thought I'd throw this Electrophoresis
Power Supply out to you folks in case it has been overlooked.  There are a
bunch of them on EBay, and if you are patient... they can be found for a
very reasonable price.  There are also linear versions, where voltage and
current are set with potentiometer, and can be set down to 0.  And of
course, if you want to check out your DNA... you just need an
Electrophoresis gel box :-)

Enjoy your weekend!

Rich