For direct-drive, you can just let the cathodes float, and they will be
completely dark unless your driver has leakage. I've done 5 full designs
with direct-drive that floats the cathode, and none has any issues. All
told, there are 52 nixie devices in operation with no hint of failure or
leakage. 24 of those tubes have been in service 24/7 for the past 8 years.

There are some variations in the design, mainly for cathode and/or
anode-current limiting but they all float the 'off' cathodes.

Admittedly, I've never done a multiplexed design with nixies, only with
LEDs, and unless the nixie tube is specifically designed for multiplex
operation I would stay with direct-drive. The reason I follow is that
multiplexed digits need a higher pulsed current to maintain visible
brightness, and higher current leads to tube wearout.