Hello everyone.
Since becoming an addict about two years ago I have built many kits and
have now started down the road of building my own clock - albeit a very
simple one.
My query centres around the use of 74141's (or the Russian version) as
direct drivers for tubes.
>From what I have tried so far they seem to work well for all small tubes as
well as Z566M, IN-18's and Dalibors tubes.
I know that the issue of the Blue Spot on IN-18's when driven from 74141's
has been the subject of much discussion here.
I have a box of IN-18's and I know that at least one of them showed some
good looking blue spot(s) when initially tested. I looked in to using an
HV5182 in place of the 74141 and that worked well with all tubes though the
IN-18 that had the blue spot before, still had the blue spot. I had Vpp on
the HV5812 set to about 76V.
I now learn that that HV5812 as an issue sinking much over 3.5mA when
connected to the cathode of a digit when the Anode is connected to 170v via
a suitable series resistor.
Can anyone advise as to whether I am backing the wrong horse by looking at
the HV5812 and whether or not i need to move to another driver such as the
HV5622 which I note is used in a lot of designs that drive IN-18's?
For this project I only need to drive two tubes so the HV5812 is ideal in
that respect.
I am aware of various solutions involving the use of transistors for
switching but would like (if possible) to keep the project as simple as
possible. The HV5812 is available in a DIL package which I like, I believe
that the HV5622 is only in available in the 44 pin square package (SMD or
socket).
All pointers gleefully received!