The 74141 has 55 volt transistors. You can use the SN75468 which has 100
volt transistors, for more voltage margin. It can be controlled by the
74HC595 shift register.

The 44 pin chip does replace a lot of smaller parts, but I prefer to use
many smaller parts, because the board layout is more sensible. You have two
rows of DIPs behind the sockets.

You can also use the 50 volt TD62083 which is available in a much smaller
SSOP package, as I use in my Nixie watches.