SQL is SQL.  The query language is what it is... The differences are some
of the interfaces and management tools.  There are advantages to using MS
SQL server if you're used to that.  I use SQL server for lots of stuff too
because many applications use it.  The same is true for Oracle but for the
most part we've tried to move away from Oracle because it's very expensive
but if you're running an Enterprise database a large company depends on...
Sometimes it's worth the expense.  Macs are really Unix now under the
covers...  Ever since Steve jobs came back to Apple many years ago MacOS
has been based on the mach kernel which came from NeXT if anyone remembers
that?  It's basically Unix.  This is around the same time Apple switched
from Motorola to Intel processors.  I would virtualize the whole thing with
either open source stuff or even windows on some hypervisor.  When you get
something from a hosting provider these days it's usually always a virtual
machine or you run your own VM on their hypervisor in the cloud.  They'll
do as much or little for you.  They even have webservers you can setup
without knowing anything about what's going on underneath.  Many people
just use WordPress and start their site like a blog almost then it grows
into more later with options for selling stuff and payment processing with
a cart.  A big company HQ for that kind of thing here in Phoenix area is
GoDaddy.

Bill