Before going any further, what shall we call this project? "NixieBase" is the
first thing that pops into my mind. Any better suggestions? Does GoogleGroups
have a poll feature?

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 7:16 AM, Bill Notfaded <notfad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also the database won't be complex or large enough to really require any
> serious normalization.  I'd make the primary key something like the model
> number of the tube and just be done with it.

Exactly. Jonathan and I had a private conversation before he started this
thread. In his words:

...we would need to implement a phonetic search or look up table. Take example
"ZM 1020" tube. If you ask 10 people, you would probably get "ZM1020, ZM-1020,
ZM 1020, ZM10-20, ZM 10 20" as an input which would hide some searches.

Not to mention allowing lowercase letters for the convenience of those who
can't touch-type.

There's a free eBay search app called "AuctionSieve" (works on all
platforms—check it out). You perform an ordinary eBay search and then refine
the results by double-clicking words in auction headings and adding them to a
"Catch Word" list or a "Trash Word" list. It's just like refining a search on
eBay itself but without all the typing and reloading. Lightning fast by
comparison, almost painless.

This might be the solution. Start with a basic query based on the model number
and then let the user narrow the results down.

Perhaps there are other, better ways I'm unfamiliar with (I know just enough to
be dangerous). I'm hoping to learn a great deal more by the time "NixieBase"
goes live.

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Joe Croft <cro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not to start a flamewar, but mssql server, like oracle, is way over powered
> and has the other side feature of being 90% complient on it's sql syntax. The
> other 10% you get to learn out the Microsoft way.

I had to work with that house of cards VisualFoxPro once. MicroSoft shafted me.
The less said the better...

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Nately: "...it's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Old Man: "You have it backwards: it is better to live on your feet, than to die
on your knees."—Catch-22