Okay I will contribute with my own story:

I first encountered nixie tubes back in the 1980s..  (I was 14 years or so)
I was given a PCB from a clock with 4 nixie tubes..well as kids sometimes
do I took it apart, dismantled the 4 nixies (I did not know they were
called that back then - they were just wierd displays)  - and put them in
storage and forgot all about them while playing with meccano, lego and
electronics...
Later (1990 or so) I again encountered nixie tubes when I bought my first
frequency counter at a local flea market - a Philips....neither did I think
twice about them this time.. I just used the counter until I gave to a
friend in the mid 1990s...
Okay now time jumps to around 2001 where I by chance stumbled over a HP
5245L counter ..and dismantled it..at the same time I found Claus Urbachs
kits (I think it was) and bought one..and threw together my first clock
with the nixies from the HP counter
Within the same time frame I happened to find Raymond Wieslings Geekklok/
FLW kit.. and the lot of B7971s from "usmintquarters" I think they were
called?  I managed to purchase approx 25 of them before the prices
exploded... I got in touch with R. Wiesling back then and ended up buying
and receiving a GeekKlok kit - and later a FLW. I have so far only
assembled the Geekklok...
Wiesling recommended the Nixie forum back then.. and I have been here since
then... and while collecting /dumpster diving/ scavenging other instruments
and gadgets I kept accumulating instruments with nixies and loose nixies of
course....
My friends know I like them so once in a while someone shows up with tubes
or instruments with them. :)
I have no idea how many loose nixie tubes I have now..hundreds at least
(when I don't include the approx 2000pcs IV-6 VFD tubes I still have in my
garage). Apart from the IV-6, I stick to the US and German nixies.. I find
them more pleasing than most Russian tubes :)
I also have ended up with quite a collection of instruments wit nixie
displays.. I haven't got the heart to tear them apart if they work ..so my
house is beginning to resemble the lab from "The Dish" :/

And the four tubes I pulled from that clock back in the 1980s?  I still
have them here in my collection somewhere! :)

..
Dan