My current clock went a bit overboard with self-checking; I have A/D
converters on all supplies and software periodically monitors them for
out-of-tolerance, and will shut-down the HV if that happens. There is also
hardware-based detection of a gross power-supply failure that will
instantly shut down the HVDC, just in case the RasPi crashed and cant
monitor the supplies.

I was tempted to add a crowbar circuit that killed all of the supplies if
an over-voltage condition occurred, but decided against that mainly because
I did not want false triggers. The other reason is that if an overvoltage
condition did occur, it's probably too late to save the clock because CMOS
devices can get destroyed in nanoseconds if the zap is big enough. My main
concern is the tubes; they are irreplaceable while the rest of the clock
can be replaced. So, shutting-down the HV is sufficient.

There's plenty of ac-line protection, and I'm fairly certain that's where
most of the trouble would originate from that could cause the power supply
to run amok.