Here are a few parts I use on a routine basis...

I2C digital pot - 10K shown, comes in other values:  AD5259BRMZ10-R7
(DigiKey:  AD5259BRMZ10-R7CT-ND $2.85/ea)
I2C 16-bit ADC:  MCP3425A0T-E/CH  (DigiKey:  MCP3425A0T-E/CHCT-ND  $2.24/ea)
I2C Isolator... float an ADC or other I2C parts at 200 VDC?  ISO1540
(DigiKey: 296-34871-1-ND $4.80/ea)

Caution on the ISO1540... it is not symmetrical in that the "2" side can
handle more capacitive load than the "1" side.
Did I mention I don't like manual set trim pots?

Is input protection worth $5 in parts? For me, it varies with the cost of
the components at risk, complexity to rework or repair, probability of
abuse... Most of my boards just have a PTC fuse, ESD and EMC mitigation.
Some have current limiting high side switches. Only the controller has the
full protection treatment. A fuse and ESD clamp are the bare minimum I'll
use.